Asterisk is seeking a seasoned Experiential Designer to join our Austin team as we create brand experiences, help users navigate their surroundings, and facilitate interactions between people and the built environment.
The right candidate brings a design portfolio that demonstrates mature strategic and creative thinking with an emphasis on signage, wayfinding, and placemaking; proven understanding of technical and code-related design requirements; the know-how to work with fabricators and installers to take great design from paper to reality; the ability to work collaboratively and enthusiastically with clients and colleagues; exceptional professional references; and a drive to develop and grow along with our firm.
You know the history of art, design, and architecture and keep up with trends in all three. You understand as much about scale as you do about typography. You balance a left-brain understanding of function with an expansive right-brain capacity to create delightful experiences. You know how to talk about design and realize that half of doing great work is selling great work. Your vacation photos include references of signage and design in the public realm.
- Join in the development of the firm’s experiential design engagements from strategy and design to documentation and implementation of signage, wayfinding, placemaking, and donor recognition systems
- Partner with firm leadership and colleagues to define, design, and implement turnkey branding engagements via signage, art, exhibits, or installations
- Engage with clients and consultants in architecture and interiors to define and create seamlessly integrated experiences
- Deliver thoughtful client presentations that balance creativity with a clear understanding of goals and priorities
- Produce and/or oversee thorough documentation sets for use in the production of our work by fabricators and other partners, including the development of schematic through design intent drawings; sign location plans and message schedules; and the review of shop drawings and samples
- Actively manage multiple projects at once within the reality of budgets and deadlines Build relationships with our clients, partners, and vendors
- Maintain a current understanding of the role of technology in the built environment
- Identify and shape new business opportunities including scope, proposal, and schedule development
- Cultivate new fabricator and vendor relationships
- Collaborate with vendors to execute viable, cost-effective design solutions
- Contribute to the development of the firm’s culture and its social media and marketing assets
- Visit job sites before, during, and after construction to survey conditions and provide quality assurance review. While the majority of time will be spent working in the office (or occasionally remotely), the position may require the ability to navigate fabrication shops and active construction sites.
- Represent the firm at industry events and in media platforms
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Graphic Design or Communication Design
- 5+ years hands-on experiential graphics position with an architecture or EG-focused firm
- A proven body of work that demonstrates strategic thinking, a polished design sensibility, and solid programming and documentation skills for several fully realized projects
- Command of signage code and permitting requirements and the ability to research and adapt to new contexts for each
- Strong organizational, communication, and presentation skills paired with a demeanor that can field the challenges of a creative services business
- Ability to collaborate in a team-oriented studio environment in our Austin office
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop), Microsoft and Google applications, and WayFindIt
- A solid understanding of history and trends in architecture, design, technology, and art
- Proven competence with CADTools, SketchUp, or other 3D modeling Exhibited experience with architectural documentation
What we offer
- Ridiculously fun projects and opportunities
- A drama-free, collaborative environment
- The opportunity to be a key part of our growth and expansion
- Funny, talented, and collaborative coworkers
- A strong foundation of clients who we genuinely enjoy working with and for
Salary and benefits
Salary commensurate with talent and experience. Benefits include PTO, paid holidays, long- and short-term disability insurance, access to our firm’s major medical plan, an annual professional development stipend, and earned eligibility to participate in a SIMPLE retirement plan.
About our studio
In our 22nd year in business, we have built relationships with regional, national, and international leaders in real estate development, technology, transportation, healthcare, civic places, professional services, and philanthropic endeavors. See our About page for representative client list.
How to Apply
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Experiential Designer
Please send a letter of interest; your resumé with education, qualifications, and work history; your portfolio (PDF or URL); and an expected salary range. No phone calls or drop-ins.
Asterisk is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Thank you for understanding that we cannot consider candidates without at least 5 years professional experience in the field. Candidates who are not US citizens or permanent residents must provide authorization to work in the U.S. in order to apply.